Tonight we’re having scalloped potatoes. I had some left over ham in the fridge and LOTS of baby spinach from the garden. It’s such a dreary, chilly day. The perfect night for yummy comfort food straight from the oven if you ask me.
1 lb. potatoes
Ham or bacon
Spinach or other veggies
A couple cloves of garlic (or garlic powder)
About 3 Tablespoons of butter
2 Tablespoons of Flour
Salt & Pepper
About 2 cups of milk
About 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheese
1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add chopped onion and garlic. Cook until soft.
2. Slowly stir in flour until absorbed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pour in milk (I like whole milk or half & half). Cook and stir until bubbly and thick. Add shredded cheese. Remove from heat.
4. Grease casserole dish and layer 1/3 of the sliced potatoes on bottom of dish. Cover potatoes with spinach leaves. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the ham (cubed). Cover with 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat. Finish with a 3rd layer of potatoes and sauce.
5. Bake covered at 350 degree F. for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes longer. It’s done when the potatoes are tender.
I plan to serve it with a salad with more spinach from the garden. Yummy and easy!